8 Can’t-Miss Fall Events in Beaufort, Port Royal and the Sea Islands
Beaufort, Port Royal and the Sea Islands are all beautiful year round, especially throughout the Fall months. The area starts to unwind, the weather is just right and our favorite Fall activities come back to life. Come see for yourself and experience these must do activities this Fall!
- Beaufort Shrimp Festival: Since 1995, restaurants from around the Lowcountry gather at the Henry C. Chambers Waterfront Park to feature their best shrimp dishes and enter into the Silver Cup competition, where local restaurants put their unique spins on fresh local shrimp to compete for the “Best Shrimp Dish” and “Best Booth Decoration” voted by a panel of judges, and the “People’s Choice”, which is chosen by festival attendees. The overall winner will be awarded the prestigious “Silver Cup.” Vote for your favorite dish while you enjoy fun activities for all ages—from arts and crafts to a 5K and live entertainment—celebrate southern traditions the Lowcountry way October 5-6!
- Fall Festival of Houses and Gardens: If you have always wanted to step inside Beaufort’s beautiful antebellum historic homes, now is your chance. This three-day event starting October 26-28 features tours of private, historic homes, gardens and plantations that are typically private throughout the year, until now. The houses represent three centuries of early American architecture, history and more.
- Horse-drawn carriage history tour: These whimsical tours typically operate all year round, but this summer due to the extremely hot temperatures, the tours were temporarily shut down for the safety of the horses. Now with the cooler weather and coastal breeze leading the way, the Fall season is prime time to embark on a historic tour of the second oldest city in South Carolina.
- Stroll Through a Local Farmer’s Market: From the Downtown Beaufort Farmer’s Market to the Farmer’s Market at Habersham Marketplace and Port Royal, now is your time to attend one or all, as most close shop at the end of Fall. All Farmer’s Markets are a short distance away from each other.
- The Pat Conroy Literary Festival: Book lovers—this one’s for you. The third annual Pat Conroy Literary Festival starting November 2-4 will celebrate three major themes central to Conroy’s writing life that shaped southern literature and culture: faith, family and friendship. Book a two-night stay at Anchorage 1770, and you might just receive complimentary tickets along with an invitation to the VIP Writers Reception hosted at the Inn.
- Beaufort Ghost Tours: When you’re as old as Beaufort, you have a story or two to tell, including spooky ones. One story says the oldest ghost in America lives in “the castle” in downtown Beaufort. Out of the many ghost tours, choose to explore on foot, van or carriage ride—either way, you’re sure to get spooked!
- Beaufort Food Truck Festival: Is your favorite kind of food from a food truck? If so, you’re in for a treat. On October 13 from 11 am-5pm, sample the best foods of the Lowcountry, open to all with free admission. All proceeds will benefit the South Carolina Jaycee Camp Hope—established in 1969 to help individuals with cognitive disabilities.
- Habersham Harvest Festival: The 10th annual Habersham Harvest Festival kicks off October 20-21 capturing all the things we all love about Fall—browse artisan vendors, enjoy delicious local food, live music, plus plenty of activities for the little ones, including a 47-foot ferris wheel, carnival rides, face painters, hayrides and so much more.
Is Fall your favorite time of the year? If so, you’ll love Beaufort, Port Royal and the Sea Islands at this special time. What are your must do Fall activities in the Lowcountry? Tell us by using #luvBFT.