New year, new you. Heard that before? In 2018, make this the year that you keep your goals going. Kick start your new year by taking a long weekend away to get a head start on your resolutions. Whether this is the year you get fit or simply find more time for yourself, in Beaufort, we have something for everyone. Find out what’s in store for you, no matter what your resolution, right here in sunny Beaufort, SC.
1. Learn something new: Come explore new wildlife, uncover new beaches and learn about 19th-century American history in South Carolina’s second-oldest city. Stroll through downtown on a horse-drawn carriage and hear the stories that go with the historic Antebellum homes in The Point. Or, visit the Port Royal Sound Foundation Maritime Center and learn about the fish, turtles, dolphins, sharks and various other sea life that call Beaufort and our surrounding Sea Islands home. Cap off your trip at the Santa Elena History Center, where you can hear the story of Santa Elena, the first European colonial capital in North America and a pivotal town for both the French and Spanish settlers over the course of three centuries.
2. Get Fit: You may think a coastal destination is solely for R&R but in Beaufort, you can break a sweat and take in some of the best coastal views on the East Coast. Hit the ground running with the Beaufort Running Tour or opt into yoga on the roof during your stay at the Anchorage 1770 Inn.
3. Travel More: Kick off your year of globetrotting with a visit to the Lowcountry. Whether you’re looking for adventure, like a full day fishing charter or climbing the only publicly accessible lighthouse in the state, or simply want to recharge before you hit the ground running, perhaps through the straw of a Sweet Tea float, Beaufort is the destination to kick-start your travel plans.
4. Spend More Time with Family: Make 2018 the year that you and the family start a new tradition: beach vacation. Head down to Fripp Island, just south of downtown Beaufort, and book an extended stay at one of the beach homes in this private community. The kids will find fun catching blue crabs, spending their days under the sun and making trips to Shrimp Shack for some of the best shrimp in the south.
5. Read More: If more time with your nose in a book is on your to-do list in the new year, kick things off in the home of one of literature’s greatest, Pat Conroy. You can stroll through the same locations that inspired some of his best-sellers, like the Great Santini and The Prince of Tide. Or, spend a day at the Pat Conroy Literary Center, listening to regional authors or planning your trip to the 2018 Literary Festival in October.